Thursday, September 27, 2012

Zesty Pickles



These may look like those bread&butter pickles, but they are not. These are so so so much better. They are crisp, fresh, sweet, and tangy. The recipe was found in one of those thousands of journals I have at home. Which one is a mystery. I have no clue, but I'm somewhat leaning towards either Gourmet or Food and Wine.



6 cups of sliced cucumbers
2 cups sliced onions
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cups of sugar
1tbsp salt
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 (or more) tsp hot chilli flakes
4 garlic cloves




 Just in case, 6 cups of sliced cucumbers is about 3 pounds. As one can see from the picture, I'm not too strict when it comes to the measurements.

Here is what to do:
Slice all the cucumbers (I use mandaline, but if you know how to use the knife, it'll do)
Slice all the onion(s).
Chop or slice garlic cloves. Mix it all in a large pot. Combine all the remaining ingredients in a small pot, and bring it to boil. Pour over cucumber-onion-garlic mixture.



 
It may look like there is not enough brine. Do not worry, once cucumbers release their juices, it'll be more than enough. These pictures were taken 20 minutes apart... you can see how much more liquid one on the right has.

 That's it! Let the cucumbers sit on the counter for couple of hours then move the mixture into clean glass gars and refrigerate. They are ready to eat in about 3 days. You can keep these in the fridge for up to ... The longest I've gone to was a month, after that I don't know... I never had a chance to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment